Me and Maxim’s horror movie night.. Featuring soo much foooood ^_^
"It worries me how racist the Disney fandom is. Seriously, someone brings up the fact that Frozen has no POC and the racist people come out of the woodworks. It’s also upsetting that a lot of people don’t want more POC in the line up"
Because GOD FORBID a fairytale set in Scandinavia has white people. Le shock. Le horror.
And if you want more POC in the lineup, TALK WITH YOUR DAMN MONEY.
Buy Tiana merchandise. Buy Facilier merchandise. Buy Lilo and Nani merchandise. Buy Pocahontas and Mulan merchandise. Buy Jasmine merchandise. Buy Aladdin merchandise. Buy Esmeralda merchandise. Buy Kuzco merchandise. Buy Kenai and Sitka and Denahi merchandise. Buy Mowgli merchandise. Buy Russell merchandise.
Because that’s what Disney and big corporations like it listen to.
Oh, and it’s cute how the character used here is Esmeralda, my personal favourite ever Disney character, who was kicked out of the lineup because she wasn’t popular enough, has ZERO merchandise, and has practically been forgotten except among the nerdiest of Disney nerds. Even the people working at the freaking Disney Store and at Disney theme parks don’t remember the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
But no, don’t think about that, bitch about how a film set in one of the whitest areas of Earth has no POC instead of showing support for the POC that have actually been a part of the Disney lineup and proving that you actually care about the issue.
But that’s what always happens - cry and whine and bitch and then when a character that meets your criteria comes along lose all interest after two seconds so you can cry and whine and bitch some more next time you find an excuse.
No, it doesn’t matter that Elsa is the first disabled/ mentally ill Disney princess, or that at the end she doesn’t magically get better, or that the movie says “hey kids, sometimes there are people that are broken in the brainpan, and they can be outcasts and unhappy and scared and odd, but that’s OK, they are still people, even good people, and it’s OK to love them and to BE them”. It doesn’t matter that Rapunzel realistically portrays emotional/ psychological abuse of a child by its caregiver.
All that matters is their skin colour.
- The Snow Queen, the story that Frozen is loosely based off of had characters of color in it. For the makers of Frozen to omit them is racism by exclusion. Also, Arendelle is not an actual place. And even though Scandinavia is majorly white, it doesn’t mean that people of color never existed there. The movie actually whitewashes the Saami (referenced by the ice harvesters and Kristoff), who, at the time when the film takes place, where still majorly people of color.
- It’s easy to say “talk with your money” when there’s no merchandise to be found. In a lot of places, you’re hard pressed to find much merchandise for Tiana or Jasmine, let alone Pocahontas and Mulan or any other characters of color for that matter. You act like this stuff is just sitting on the shelves just waiting to be bought and people are just going along and ignoring it. No. We don’t buy it because it’s not available to us. Do you know that in many stores, dolls of the princesses of color sell out first because there’s so little stock of them compared to the white princesses. I’m going to assume you didn’t since you’re spouting this nonsense.
- People have been showing support for Disney characters of color: there are plenty of blogs that highlight Disney’s different characters of color, like disneyofcolor, disneydiversity, and disneyforprincess for instance. There is appreciation for these characters; they’re just overshadowed by their white counterparts who are given much more exposure and adoration by the fandom and the company.
- Rapunzel and Elsa have been good characters for what they have gone through and what they portray (somewhat accurately), but yes, their skin color does matter. Their skin color affords them an automatic level of sympathy iin their stories in relation to the women of color in Disney’s franchise. Their whiteness gives them an automatic leg up because white characters in general are aloud to be seen as automatically multifaceted and sympathetic. This is not the same for characters of color. It is a proven fact that skin color determines how much sympathy, support and humanity that people are given.
- Speaking of mental illness and abuse: here’s a neat fact. Did you know that black people are thought to have less mental illness/problems compared to white people because of a myth that they feel less pain and stress (this actually dates all the way back to slavery)? This is why there will probably never be a black princess that will have some sort of mental illness/abuse like Rapunzel or Elsa because it would seem “uncharacteristic” of a black woman.
- Whiteness is seen as the default as well as the most human: imagine what that realization does to the minds of people of color as well as the people that surround them. So think before you speak about what people need to do when you actually know what you’re talking about.
Ok so i’ve just seen this on my timeline on twitter and quite frankly I’m angry. This is in london and the metropolitan police here are known to be racist. With all that’s going on in America right now i thought I’d shed some light on what’s happening here in the UK. While its illegal to bear arms in this country, the systematic racism and discrimination still remains against black people, men in particular. Racial profiling is an epidemic and with social media at the forefront it’s been easier to really see how often this occurs, Please re blog this and spread this on your dashboard! These racist authorities need to be exposed!
dat practical armor
I love every aspect of this.
NO you guys don’t understand, the entire book is like this. They tried to cram in all sorts of representation of different races and the art is gorgeous and it’s GREAT! The picture for a spellcaster is a female human who is wearing BAGGY, NON-SEXUALIZED CLOTHING AND NO MAKEUP because she’s in a dungeon, she doesn’t have time to do her hair cmon.
The original is good, the comment is STUNNING. Love it!
It got better
apparently e.l. james called former child star mara wilson (matilda) a “sad f**k” for critiquing the 50shades books a while ago and now there’s a feud. i love it.
I have a love for her that runs deep.
Birds Of A Feather | by Claire Rosen.
A brilliant live portrait series by Claire Rosen featuring vintage wallpaper backdrops to accentuate and highlight the colors of each bird, which range from the common Parakeet to the exotic Hyacinth Macaw.
As seen on: Honestly WTF.
i don’t know about you, but i grew up seeing mostly white dolls that looked nothing like me. in fact, even the few black dolls i saw looked nothing like me. they had super straight hair, and sometimes blue or green eyes. where was the barbie doll with brown eyes and beautiful curly, kinky hair?
well now, i found a DIY tutorial that allows you to make even the doll with the finest hair, look a little more like you.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- A doll
- End papers (sold at beauty supply shops)
- Pipe cleaners
- Boiling water
Note about end papers: If you start with a doll that has long hair and you plan to make a style similar to the style shown in my picture, you won’t need end papers, they’re optional. But if you start with a doll that has shorter hair and don’t plan to cut it any further, end papers will be essential.
1. Cut pipe cleaners into two-inch pieces and bend each one in half. They will look like little “V” shapes.
2. Section off a piece of hair and twist it into a tight spiral. The smaller the sections, the tighter the curls will be.
3. Wrap the spiral in an end paper (optional)
4. Place a pipe cleaner onto the scalp and pull the twisted section into the crook of the pipe cleaner. Be sure to keep the hair spiraled tightly as you zig-zag it.
5. When you finish zig-zagging each section, twist the pipe cleaner ends around each other to lock everything into place.
fully wrapped head
6. Once you have all the sections in pipe cleaners, dip the head in boiling water for the count of ten.
7. Wait for the head to cool – usually a few hours, but overnight is best. Rinse in cold water and place doll in freezer if you want to speed things up.
8. Take the pipe cleaners out.
9. If you have length to spare, trim each section to get rid of straight ends or strays.
feel free to leave it like this, or pick it out and make your doll’s fro as big as you desire. i don’t know about you, but i’m definitely going to be doing a few of these for my little cousin, who is currently very insecure about her own beautiful curly hair.
It makes me happy to know I’m pretty much the same height as Spider-Man.
Wait, Tony Stark’s not really 6’6” is he? That must be with the armor.
For some reason, it weirds me out that I’m taller than Cap and Punisher and the Thing, but it would weird me out if I wasn’t taller than Tony.
he’s 6’6” in his iron man suit. 616!Tony is around 6’1” or something out of his suit.
I’M GOIGN TO PISS I’M TALLER THAN WOLVERINE
How is Wolverine only one inch taller than me
WOLVERINE IS TALLER THAN ME ARE YOU SERIOUS
Tim Burton received this handmade cake from his animation team and it’s basically the coolest shit ever.